Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Trouble with the Free Fall

I have a copy of a great little book called "Steal like an Artist" by Austin Kleon.  I've now read it over a couple of times and am trying to take his advice.  In essence, his premise is that all art is an exhibition of thievery. Creative originality is putting together all the elements lifted from the ideas and works of others whom you admire and wish to emulate.  This is completely true.  Every character I write is an amalgam of other characters, fictional and real; pieced together like a patchwork quilt.  However, since I am not Margaret Mitchell, no rogue I write will ever be Rhett Butler.  My creation may echo him occasionally, but he will never be the man who waited until the cause of the Confederacy was utterly lost before joining in the fight to save her.  Likewise, I may terribly admire the self-possession and restraint of Jane Austen's Anne Elliot, but I would never have written her romance myself.  If I am skilled enough, I might be able to incorporate something of their spirit into my own characters.  This I understand because we all do it on a personal level.  We see behaviour or character traits we admire in others and we try to recreate them in ourselves.  We are never the same person as the one we wish we were like because we bring our own unique situation and personality to the equation. We imitate because we admire.  We steal from others and make it our own because we recognize something of value.

Where I feel my weakness most as a writer is dialogue. Unquestionably, dialogue.  How to go about stealing it, though? My guess is that the answer is to read and practice.  There are plenty of great novels out there written by writers with a knack for dialogue.  There are wonderfully tight screenplays where the dialogue practically snaps with brilliance and intelligence.  I need to start picking it out and ferreting it away for study.  I need to stare at it long it enough and think about it when I am not thinking so that I can begin to understand what makes it great.

One of the problems that I have while writing dialogue in particular, is that I fail to take W.O Mitchell's advice.  I have trouble with the free fall; which is to say, I have a terrible time not editing as I go along.  Perhaps that is why I worry myself into a different career when I hate my dialogue. (Art auctioneering, etc.)  I recognize the pitfalls of my approach--my failure to steal from his brilliance and experience, as it were.  There is no point finessing sentences if they will have no place in your manuscript later on.  Structure.  Frame.  This is what a first draft attempts to accomplish.  I stretch my first draft until they are completely bent out of shape.  And, every time I think I have a final draft, it still ends up miles away from my so called 'finished product'.   I am currently working on a project that I thought was 95% finished.  I started what I thought would be my final edit.  What an incurable optimist.  It occurred to me today that it might never be done.  There is just so much more work to do.  I take some comfort though, in that thought.  I was listening to a live album of Leonard Cohen on the long drive home from Vancouver  yesterday and I realized that even he apparently felt the need to add to or change some of the tried and true lyrics of his early success.  If he is still editing, I suppose it bodes well for me.  I must steal that trait from him.


4 comments:

  1. Are you working on a novel? Great dialogue can come from eavesdropping on the conversations of strangers. I would like to read some of your work. I can really relate to a lot of what you are saying about writing. Did you ever read Stephen King's book about writing?

    By the way, i'm one of Cody's old tree planting buddies. I really want to get my hands on a copy of the Holger Danske work you have been doing. Is there a way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't read Stephen King's book. Is it worth a read? I tend to enjoy the stuff about the experience of writing since it is a fairly isolated undertaking and it is nice to know that others experience the repeated failure and raging self-doubt as well. (Although, last night I read a series of short articles by various successful authors who basically said that writing is about acquainting yourself with failure. I'm not sure I was in the mood to find it encouraging.)

      I do have a novel that I am in the process of submitting to literary agents and have just started on another project. What about you? Are you working on a novel or something like?

      Holger Danske is about to get a bit of an overhaul. Cody and I were talking about changing it from a six issue series to a graphic novel. I'm not even sure that I have a copy of the completed first issue anymore. I'll see what I have/talk to Cody. Whereabout are you located?

      Delete
  2. You should read King's book. It's like listening to him chat about his life, memories, and some practical tips. He is honest about his writing, where he fits into the canon of literature, and what it takes to succeed.

    I have some ideas for projects. Every time i read King's book i am overwhelmed with possibility, and it always gets me kick-started to actual tippity typing. I have my own issues to deal with, and i am battling with them whenever i have a blank page in front of me. Sounds a little like you from what i gather, but you have the guts and gumption to keep working. I still need some time building my writing muscles.

    Well, i would like to read something you've written. I took a writing class and now i miss the constant interaction and sharing with other writers.

    A Holger Danske graphic novel would be exciting to see. If they contain relevant themes, graphic novels can populate school bookshelves in thousands of schools. It that is a target for you. I think, being a teacher, if you have something that schools want to buy, then that is instant cash flow. Maus, Bone, and even that Diary of a Wimpy Kid are all very popular. I don't know if you are interested in being didactic, but that's an idea.

    I live north of Regina on a little piece of frozen paradise. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely check out his book. (You are referring to "On Writing", right?)

    I'm in Calgary. Also, I'd be happy to be a critique partner. It is always helpful to hear how other people respond to my writing and vice versa. While I don't have much at the moment that is ready to face a critique, I did speak to Cody the other night about sending you a copy of the soon-to-be totally revamped first issue of Holger Danske. I think all we've got at the moment is a digital copy(which isn't really the best way to experience it, but you'd be able to get the gist of how it would look). When I started editing the scripts last week in order to transform them into a graphic novel I got overwhelmed at the enormity of the task. There isn't a single stage of writing that isn't a huge, solitary mountain climb. But it is always nice to commiserate with others facing their own upward slog.

    Keep typing! :)

    ReplyDelete

I Wouldn’t Answer Me Either

“He does me double wrong that wounds me with the flatteries of his tongue.”   -William Shakespeare, Richard II,  (Act III, Scene II) I ...